The first day of the Austin Food & Wine Festival can be a bit overwhelming. The festival is large, and there is a lot going on. To help you navigate your way to the best of the fest, here’s a few tips:
- Decide early which Cooking Demo and Tasting Session are your “don’t miss” choices, and arrive at their scheduled time early. They fill up fast. If you decide you can’t live without seeing Stephanie Izard or Lidia Bastianich, make your way toward the tent a half hour prior to the start, and scope out the crowd. For seated Tasting Sessions, if you want a chair near the front, time is of the essence.
- Love this year’s tee shirt? Buy your swag when you see it, because it always sells out.
- The spit buckets are there for a reason. You won’t always love what you’ve been poured. Ditch it, use a little water to clean your glass, and move on.
- Hydrate with water. Yes, I said it. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Also, there’s nothing fancy about getting sloppy at a public event. Drink water while sampling wine and other alcoholic beverages. Indulge in those copious samples.
- Apply sunscreen prior to the event. With the new bag size limitations, there’s not a lot of room to carry sunscreen with you.
- Designate a driver, arrange for someone to drop you off or pick you up, do a rideshare, hail a taxi, but whatever you do, don’t drive under the influence.
- Have fun on social media. Hashtag the event in your photos and posts: #AFWFest and follow the fun online.