There’s so much going on in the Austin restaurant scene right now! Here’s a few bites of the good stuff to kick off your craving for more, more, more.
- Easy Tiger is baking up King Cakes for the Mardi Gras season. Their version, which features a tiny tiger inside instead of a baby, is a classic pain au lait dough, redolent with cinnamon and buttery goodness. The $18 cakes are special order only, through February 9, with 48 hours advance notice required. Call the bakery at (512) 614-4972 or email email@example.com to order.
- Jo’s Coffee holds their annual Chili Cookoff on January 31st, from noon-3pm, where $20 gains you samples of chili from both professional and amateur cooks. The even, an Urban Roots fundraiser, will feature live music from Jeff Hughes and Chaparral, and the Jo’s House Band. Want to compete? Register here.
- Burn Pizza + Bar has started lunch service from 11am-4pm, Thursday through Sunday. The restaurant has switched to their winter menu and one seasonal item caught my eye. The penne pasta with a Tuscan ragu, Guanciale bacon and pecorino cheese sounds like a hearty, satisfying dish. Props to the chef for making their mozzarella and Njuda in house, and growing herbs and veggies in the restaurant’s garden.
- Hopdoddy is partnering with Girl Scouts of Central Texas, and will have scouts in house at their Round Rock location on January 18th, handing out cookies. The same location is holding a pitch party on January 23rd, and the two scouts whose marketing and business plan wows Hopdoddy will earn the position of cookie supplier for the season. Expect to see some delicious combinations of cookies and milkshakes, most certainly.
- Looking ahead to February, Austin Lamb Jam returns to wow us with bites from some of the city’s best chefs. Tickets go fast for this culinary fest, so get yours today.